13 Halloween Tips & Tricks
Booooooooooo! Scared ya?
Well, we’re pretty sure we didn’t scare you. But, when the air is turning crisp, the leaves are starting to fall, and you can hear a light howl when the wind blows – ooooooooooooook, that’s scary! And, you know what that means… it’s almost time for Halloween!!!
While Halloween brings lots-o-fun for those young and old, it can bring some excitement and anxiety to our furbies. Keep both dogs & cats in mind as you decorate your haunted house and prepare for the ghouls & goblins to visit, here are a few things to keep in mind:
- Dressing up your pet? Do a test-run first! Many animals get anxious or stressed when in costume.
- When dressing your pet, make sure the costume doesn’t interfere with the pets ability to see, hear, move, bark and of most of all, breathe.
- Costumes not an option for your nudist? Try a fun Halloween neck accessory or a festive fur-friendly dye.
- Ding-dong… trick-or-treat…while all furbies normally LOVE the doorbell, on Halloween, it can become a stress button. Make sure you have a room or area away from the front door where you can safely keep your pets with some of their favorite things to minimize stress and barking.
- The sweet smells of delicious candy, while enticing, should be placed out of reach for pets.
- Kisses are always good, but not the chocolate kind are toxic to dogs/cats.
- Candy wrappers are not pet toys and should be placed in the trash.
- Decorations are fun to bat around, but can be hazardous, so make sure they are up high.
- Electrical cords are not chew toys, be sure they are not exposed for biting by puss/pup fangs.
- Make sure your pet has current ID – whether a micro-chip or collar tags – just in case they sneak out during holiday chaos
- Magic black cat? Before and during Halloween time keep outdoor black cats safely inside from pranksters.
- Introduce your costume self to your pet so they know it’s you and that the dress up is something fun, not scary
- For more tips, visit, http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/pet-care-tips/halloween-safety-tips.aspx
Looking for a little fun, pet-friendly Halloween weekend? Check out these local events:
1) Join our annual HALLOWEEN Mutt Mingle gone Spooky...Dogs (and humans too) can come dressed in a Halloween costume and enjoy festive food/drinks. Enjoy festive cocktails and tasty bites with your pooch (or puss*), plus Raffle Prizes, Costume Contest at 7.30pm, and Treat Bags for all guests in Costume. *Adventurous kitties are always welcome in carrier
2) World’s Largest Halloween Pet Event… the 12th Annual Haute Dog Howl-o-ween Parade in Belmont Shore. Bring the pets, the kids & most of all, the costumes!!! Look for P&P’s booth at the Pet Vendor Fair with the Green Top & spin our Lucky Green Wheel for delicious treats & prizes! There will also be a kids costume contest, pet adoptions & lots more to enjoy.
Still in need of a pet costume? Our pet experts are here to help! Check out a few of our favorites.
Have a safe & Happy Halloween…………